2 cups unbleached/unbromated flour (I used King Arthur’s flour)
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/3 c. honey (instead of sugar)
2 cups ground oats or oat flour (I ground rolled oats in my blender to make an oat flour)
1 cup ground flaxseed (I used flaxseed and ground them to a flour in my blender)
3 Tbsp. unsalted organic butter
1 tsp. sea salt
1 1/3 cups water
Directions: (makes 2 loaves)
- Combine 2 cups flour and the yeast.
- Heat and stir honey, butter and water, and 1 tsp. sea salt till warm and butter almost melts (do not want it hot or it will kill the yeast and your bread will not rise).
- Add to flour mixture and beat w/an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Then beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Use a spoon or spatula to scrape sides as you go. Using a spoon, add your ground oats and ground flaxseed, mix and press in as much as you can (do not use beaters as it will be too thick to mix). Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in extra flour if necessary to make a moderately stiff dough. This will take about 6-8 minutes.
- Shape into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place till double (1-1 1/2 hrs.).
- Uncover, punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Divide in half.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans. Shape each half of dough into a loaf. Place in pans.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place till nearly double (45-60 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or till done. Cover loosely with foil the last 10-20 minutes, if necessary as to prevent a hard crust.
- Remove from pans; cool. Makes 2 loaves (32 servings).