It’s officially Spring!
The first day of spring was March 20. Why isn’t it an official holiday?
I mean really, every town should do a festival to inaugurate the season. Spring Fling! One things for certain, the weather has confirmed that it ain’t winter no more. Thank God! We can finally shed off those heavy layers, open a few windows, get outside and start walkin.
Walking is one of the best ways to start your body on a path toward good health. You don’t really need anything, you already have what you need, you just need to start movin’. Since spring has officially sprung I thought it was worth just encouraging you to get up and get movin’ so you can keep movin.
A few years ago I started taggin’ everything I did (text, tweets, posts, emails) with ” keep movin’ “. I just did it. It became habit and after a while I realized that I really must have been passionate about what I was doing because it came naturally. Not everyone enjoyed the subtle encouragement though, I actually had someone tell me that if I told them to keep movin’ one more time they might just have to smack me. As funny as it was, I thought, hey well at least she knows I’ve got her best interest in mind. I mean really, if you aren’t movin’ then you’re kinda standin’ still. The new Karate Kid had an awesome quote:
“ Standing still and doing nothing are not the same thing“
There’s a scripture in the bible that says “after having done all, stand.”
just like that.
The initial thought is “and then what”
Well, I think the question we should ask is what was suppose to happen before we stand?
See sometimes we’re trying to get movin and things or people seem to always be in our way and we’ve decided there’s nothing else we can do, so THEN we give it to God and say “I’m just standing”.
Are we really?
Or as Mr. Han (Jackie Chan) clarified, are we doing nothing?
According to Ephesians 6:13 our standing only comes as a “so that”; meaning, we’ve been asked to do something first so that we can stand.
Mr. Han was on to something.
For this reason, take up all the armor that God supplies. Then you will be able to take a stand during these evil days. Once you have overcome all obstacles, you will be able to stand your ground.
For what reason?
(11) Put on all the armor that God supplies. In this way you can take a stand against the devil’s strategies. this probably includes struggles with weight & food (12) This is not a wrestling match against a human opponent. We are wrestling with rulers, authorities, the powers who govern this world of darkness, and spiritual forces that control evil in the heavenly world. (13)For this reason, take up all the armor that God supplies. Then you will be able to take a stand during these evil days. Once you have overcome all obstacles, you will be able to stand your ground.
So God does all the supplying of the tools we need. All we have to do is take it up – translation – wear it. For the sake of conversation & sunday school nostalgia let’s review the Full Armor of God.
- The Belt of TRUTH around your waist
- Shoes of PEACE fitted with readiness to spread His Gospel
- Shield of FAITH to extinguish fiery darts/flaming arrows (guilt, shame, accusation, low self-esteem)
- Helmet of SALVATION
- Sword of the SPIRIT – which is THE WORD of God.
(side note: the bible says the Word is a double edged sword. My Pastor says be careful that you don’t stab yourself with it. It was intended for correction & reproof not condemnation-aka fiery darts)
So now that we’re fully dressed, Let’s start walkin’
You must crawl before you walk, and you must walk before you run, but before you can even begin to crawl, you must stand!