Since 1963, February has been designated American Heart Month in the United States. The American Heart Association cleverly linked it to the emotional heart connection of Valentine’s Day, and since heart disease remains the number one cause of death in America, February is a month of educational events and community programs geared to heart-smart awareness regarding diet and exercise for prevention of heart disease.
For the first time, the American Heart Association has defined “ideal cardiovascular health,” identifying seven health factors and lifestyle behaviors that support heart health, known as Life’s Simple 7:
- Never smoked or quit more than one year ago;
- Body mass index less than 25 kg/m2;
- Physical activity of at least 150 minutes (moderate intensity) or 75 minutes (vigorous intensity) each week;
- Four to five of the key components of a healthy diet consistent with current American Heart Association guideline recommendations;
- Total cholesterol of less than 200 mg/dL;
- Blood pressure below 120/80 mm Hg;
- Fasting blood glucose less than 100 mg/dL.
February’s ONE BODY BOOTCAMP Challenge is going to help you reach and maintain YOUR Life’s 7 Simple one week at a time. So if you’re ready…let’s get movin’